Any of these cities:
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Francisco, CA
- Salt Lake City, UT
Dwelo is bringing home automation to apartment communities. Our software, hardware, and service platform enables the owners and managers of multifamily properties to offer smart homes as an amenity to their residents while simultaneously improving the efficiency of their operations. Dwelo smart apartments are live in over a dozen markets and counting. We are a small team making a lot happen, we are the leaders in this space while taking on some big names, and we are on track for a billion dollar outcome.
As our first Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for ensuring the operational success of the engineering team as we enter the next phase of our growth. With our next round of funding we will be moving beyond a "two pizza" team and will be adding a dozen engineers in about 18 months, more than doubling the size of the team. You will work with the Head of Engineering and CEO to define a team culture, optimize development processes, and create an environment where engineers are challenged, grow, and flourish. We will be moving into an aggressive development phase, and it will be your job to get the most of out of the team by finding and motivating the best talent out there.
Outputs and Responsibilities
- Manage Dwelo's development processes and ensure that the team understands and follows them diligently
- Recruit a cadre of talented developers of various stages of experience and expertise to help expand our team to 20 people
- Ensure that individual team members are performing to our standards and are growing as individuals and professionals
- Work with the CEO and Head of Engineering to define product milestones and ensure the team holds to that schedule
- Code like a boss (because you will be many coders' boss and because we're still a startup and even the CEO hits the terminal from time to time)
We Are Looking for...
- A natural leader, with strong instincts about how to manage, inspire, and motivate a team with an emphasis on context, not control
- Resourcefulness working in a constrained startup environment
- An excellent communicator who is equally comfortable communicating to executive leadership and to engineers and prospective recruits
- A task master who predicts and guides the team around potholes to ensure timely delivery
- An exemplar and facilitator of good organizational citizenry and psychological safety
- Familiarity and experience with cloud-first architecture, devops engineering methodologies, and scaled distributed systems
- Intimate familiarity with Python best practices and internals
- Someone with an eye for elegant, maintainable, and extensible architecture
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive cash and stock option compensation determined by experience as well as the individual's preference for cash v. equity
- Medical benefits
- Paid holidays
- Unlimited vacation (just get your stuff done, we don't track days off)
If interested, email your resume and any additional comments to Brad Alexander: firstname.lastname@example.org.